Maine and New Hampshire Renters/Condo Insurance

Renters and Condo Insurance—Solutions for Small Spaces

Protecting your personal property from fire, flood and theft is important – especially if you don’t actually own the property where you live.

Many people falsely believe that if something should happen to damage the building or apartment that they currently rent, their landlord is somehow responsible for the personal items that may have also been damaged. This is simply not the case.

Talk with a United Insurance agent today about renters insurance. 

For example, if the ceiling in your apartment is damaged by a storm, repairing or replacing the ceiling IS something that is covered by your landlord’s insurance policy. Unfortunately, what is NOT covered is the damage caused when that ceiling falls onto your new flat screen TV, computer or living room couch.

Think of it this way; the landlord has insurance to protect the building, not the furnishings, electronics and other items in it – all of your personal belongings. That’s your responsibility.

How much do you have invested in electronics, jewelry, computer equipment, furniture and clothes? What would it cost to replace your iPad®, PS3™, notebook or high definition television?

Also, while the ceiling is being fixed, do you have enough money to immediately find another place to stay?

Renters Insurance from carriers that know New England.

Unlike many national carriers, United Insurance has access to dozens of different independent carriers and hundreds of products to carefully craft a policy that is built around you.

Condominium Insurance – Not your average homeowners’ policy

Although it may look and feel like home, the truth is that condominiums and townhouses are very different from houses when it comes to insurance. Condo owners must insure their personal possessions in the condo, but also many of the built-in items as well, including cabinets, appliances and other fixtures.

Owners must also carry adequate liability insurance for any injuries or property damage that they may be liable for. In addition to insuring their individual property and belongings, owners are often required to also contribute to the cost of insuring the common areas of the complex that they share with other owners.

Questions about what’s covered in your condo association’s master policy?

We can help. Contact a United Insurance agent today

Unfortunately, there is no standard way that insurance responsibilities must be divided among condo owners. Individual responsibilities of each owner can differ from property to property and are often determined by the condo association.

That’s why it’s important to ask the right questions and work with an insurance agent that can help you decipher the existing master policy and determine the most effective way for you to supplement it with your own individual policy.

Your United Insurance agent has the experience to help you put together an insurance policy that is specifically designed for condominium owners, known as form HO-6.

Unlike many national carriers, United Insurance has access to dozens of different independent carriers and hundreds of products to carefully craft a policy that is built around you.

First, here are some questions to consider:

  1. What are your individual ownership and insurance responsibilities in the condo association’s master deed?
  2. Does your policy also include broad water damage coverage for problems such as sewer and drain back-ups?
  3. Does your condo association provide comprehensive or blanket coverage to protect you against other condo owners who may not have adequate coverage?
  4. Do you have expensive personal items such as jewelry or electronics that you may need additional personal property coverage for?


To learn more, find an office near you or to request a quote, call 1.800.734.2333.